Monday, April 12, 2010

The first day


For seven days, I'm keeping a food journal of what I eat daily. This is day one.


Before you read below and find out for yourself, I'll just straight-up tell you: I eat a lot of food. I try to consume wholesome, unprocessed foods, but once in a while, I'll throw the rules out the window and go munch on some candy. Although I am fond of all the meals, I have a special place in my heart for breakfast. On weekends my mom usually makes my family a leisurely breakfast, but on weekdays we all eat our own breakfasts. For the past three months, I've had the same breakfast every weekday: a bowl of plain yogurt with cereal and granola. If it's possible to feel weary of eating the exact same breakfast everyday, I certainly haven't experienced it yet. Monotony, you may be boring but you sure taste good.

Today, I had a refreshing three hour nap, missing lunch, so I ate lunch for snack. Then my mom came home and cooked a delicious meal of stir fry. After watching some "Dancing with the Stars," we called it a night.

BREAKFAST: a bowl of plain yogurt with cereal and homemade granola
MORNING SNACK: a glass of banana berry smoothie (recipe below) and 1 1/2 French yogurt cupcake
LUNCH: nothing
EARLY AFTERNOON SNACK: grilled veggie cheese sandwich (recipe below), a plate of grapes, and a CLIF kids twisted fruit rope
LATE AFTERNOON SNACK: a slice of smoked gouda cheese and a piece of dark chocolate.
DINNER: a bowl of barley bean soup, a plate of pork stir fry with carrots and zucchini
DESSERT: a piece of dark chocolate and an almond cookie

****

BANANA BERRY SMOOTHIE

Ingredients:
1 banana
1 orange
1/4 cup frozen mixed berries
2 tablespoon ground flax seed
water

1. Combine all ingredients in blender (I used magic bullet) and blend until smooth.

****

GRILLED VEGGIE CHEESE SANDWICH
adapted from Recipes for a Postmodern Planet

Ingredients
1/4 cup shredded sweet onion
1/4 cup shredded carrot
1/4 cup shredded sweet potato
6 0z shredded swiss cheese
6 oz shredded cheddar cheese
6 slices whole wheat bread
shredded lettuce

1. Combine onion, carrot, and sweet potato.
2. Divide the vegetables over three slices of bread.
3. Top with cheddar and swiss cheese.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 3 to 5 minutes.
5. Toast the remaining three slices of bread in a toaster oven
6. Top melted cheese with lettuce and top with remaining toasted bread.

1 comment:

Lazaro Cooks said...

Thank you for the Banana Berry Smoothie recipe. Sounds wonderful. Cheers!

Related Posts with Thumbnails