Sunday, April 11, 2010

What I eat


Here's something I'll freely admit: I love food. I love preparing food, reading about food, dreaming about food, and tasting the textures of good food. And just like how the sun shines down on some parts of Earth more than others, I prefer some food groups to others. Meat for one: never liked it. In fact, I eat mostly vegetarian with the occasional meat and only for convenience reasons. Dairy: I usually don't drink milk, but I love cheese and eat yogurt with granola and cereal every morning. Basically, if you take a look at what I eat, you'll see that I subsist on a diet consisting mostly of fruits, vegetables, and grains.

When it comes to fats and sweets, I have this little quirk: I'm somewhat terrified of butter. I know that it's better than margarine, with its trans fats, but somehow the idea of this stick of pure animal fat makes me break out in a sweat. Once, my family went to Cheesecake Factory to celebrate my father's birthday. I ordered the Mexican tamales, and they were delicious- creamy, rich corn cakes. I went back home to look up the recipe and discovered I had just consumed 3/4 stick of butter. I almost passed out.

It doesn't help that I have a sweet tooth and love desserts. I do make an effort to steer clear of butter, but once in a while we all need to throw caution to the wind and go ingest a stick of butter.

For the next seven days, I decided to keep an online food journal of what I eat. I promise to include everything I put into my mouth from morning to night, but I can't guarantee it's always going to be pretty. I won't be including serving sizes since that takes the fun out of eating, and eating should always be fun. Let the adventure begin.

1 comment:

Lazaro Cooks said...

Different textures in a dish makes it. Be one with butter...it's your friend. Great post. Enjoyied reading it. Cheers!

Related Posts with Thumbnails